Pride Veterinary Referrals's home page
  • 24 hour emergencies01332 548911
  • 24 hour referrals01332 548911

Diary of a Vet Nurse Student

Hi there, its Emma again and here is this month’s blog about how my Trainee Veterinary Nurse training is going at Pride.

The days are counting down until our exam on Anatomy and Physiology and Animal Husbandry/ Welfare on the 3rd of August. The serious revision has begun and I am gradually putting together a revision wall of all my posters around my bedroom.

I’m also making flashcards on every body system such as the circulatory, urinary and reproductive systems so that I can use these to go over the key facts. At college we have completed various mock exams, I did better than I expected in the welfare and husbandry section and identified the key areas that I need to revise in Anatomy and physiology.

I can’t believe that I will finish attending college next week! We will then have revision days at work every Friday so we can get super prepared. I also have my exotic and equine practical assessment next week, I have my own Bearded Dragon so would like to think I know I thing or two about reptiles and though I love horses I have little knowledge about them so this will be really beneficial.

My First Emergency C-Section
I worked both Saturday and Sunday of the past weekend and on Sunday an emergency C-section was rushed in. It was the first C-section which I have been involved in. I felt a mixture of nerves and excitement but the whole team knew what needed to be done to help the mother and puppies. I set up theatre and the anaesthetic circuits and then clipped, prepared and cleaned the mother for surgery as quickly and carefully as possible. I then waited, holding a towel ready for a puppy to be placed in my hands, as soon as I got hold it was time to ensure the airway was clear and stimulate the puppy to breathe on its own. Very soon there were 6 puppies out and even the one that was stuck was alive and breathing. We stimulated them to squeak and move and were soon reassured by their little wriggling and whines. When the surgery was complete the mother was woken and we placed one puppy at a time with the mother (while the rest were in the incubator staying warm) to encourage them to latch as soon as possible. The mother was amazing and seemed at ease with some reassurance and cuddles. It went from being a very scary situation to being one with a very positive outcome and I’m so grateful I could be involved, it was simply amazing.

Here is gorgeous Angie and her puppies.

I hope you enjoyed this month’s blog, until next time…